A year in my life, from the day I was diagnosed and for the full year after. Walk with me.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 128 Unveiling

Yesterday the family travelled like a gypsy caravan to unveil Lee Lee's grave marker.  It's hard to believe that it's been a year since she passed away, her absence has left a big hole in the fabric of our clan and her memory is a blessing.  She would be pleased that all of her boys were there, along with their wives.  My husband was her first grandchild, and my children her first great grandchildren and we wouldn't have missed it for the world.

We gathered around the wrapped marker, next to her husband who preceded her.  The weather was cloudy which is a blessing in the steaming southern summer.  We wasted no time knowing the sun was only temporarily foiled.  As one we began the blessings, while we removed the cover from her simple stone, something breathtaking happened.  A single monarch butterfly flew across the cemetery and landed on the headstone and then took a short hop to Lee Lee's grave and landed.  During the service it just stood there, occasionally flapping it's wings.  It wasn't until we were saying Kaddish, which affirms our love for G.d and concludes the service that the butterfly took off again.

My daughter, who has recently taken up photography, was livid that she didn't have her camera and we had to assure her that some events aren't meant to be captured on film, but are held in our hearts permanently.

6 comments:

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

What?! Did you read my stories about my mother and the butterflies, especially the one that flew out of the funeral home! She loved butterflies. Even had a tattoo of a butterfly on her ankle. And when they were taking her casket out to the hearse, out comes a butterfly with it! We were screaming, "It's Mommy! It's Mommy!" And there was also another one at the cemetary!

Hmmm, all these butterflies...

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

What is Kaddish? Is that a Jewish thing?

zenmama said...

I have to say, when I saw that butterfly I thought about your posts about your mother's butterfly appearance. Metamorphosis, how beautiful that thought is.

In our faith (yes, Jewish) mourners say Kaddish to sanctify G.d's name and pray for His kingdom here on earth. We also say Kaddish to elevate our departed's spirit. It was really beautiful therefore to see the butterfly rise up during this prayer.

It also encourages us to turn outward during our times of sadness and difficulty, and to embrace life.

Here's a link if you are curious:
http://www.mykaddish.com/mourners-kaddish.html

Lane said...

You and Rachel truly captured the tone and feeling of that day.
Thank you both for such eloquence.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Beautiful moment to hold in your hearts forever.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I went to your link. Very nice. Made me think of the next blog story I've been writing about how I'm all alone. Reminds me that this may just be one of the stages of grief. Interesting.

I'm glad you thought of my mother when you saw the butterfly!