A year in my life, from the day I was diagnosed and for the full year after. Walk with me.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Day 139 Laugh Dammit

I shamelessly play the cancer card while reclining in my overstuffed La Z Boy.  Can you walk the dogs?  I don't want to watch the military channel, I wanna watch America's Got Talent.  Can you put my empty bowl in the dishwasher, and then vacuum and clean my bathroom?  Please, I have caaaancerrrrrrr.

And then we laugh.  Even through the grey funk of my post treatment depression and medically induced "change of life" we cackle and hoot because life is good and cancer is occasionally funny.  As I recover from, and exist through my treatment I lean heavily on my sense of humor to pull me through those moments of physical discomfort and menopause induced disorientation.  My daughter thinks my seriously lowered IQ is hilarious and my husband takes a perverse pleasure in being the one who is right most of the time.  When people call to cry and gnash their teeth over my predicament my husband answers the phone and then acts like he's actually going to let them speak to me, just to seen my horrified reaction.    Cancer is a grim thing, doing it with humor takes panache.

Though there is no scientific evidence that humor effects cancer cells in any way it does effect other important things, like your mental health and feelings of well being, without the ability to laught at it, life as a cancer patient can really suck.  I take every opportunity to laugh at cancer and every bit of what follows.  Here's something I found while searching for funny cancer shirts.  I hope I got the author right 'cause it's one of my favorites.

Top 11 Ways to Know You are A Cancer Survivor
by Emily Hollenberg, 4-year breast cancer survivor
11. Your alarm clock goes off at 6 a.m. and you're glad to hear it.
10. April 15th is still a great day.
9. Your mother-in-law invites you to lunch and you just say NO.
8. You're back in the family rotation to take out the garbage.
7. When you no longer have an urge to choke the person who says, "all you need to beat cancer is the right attitude."
6. When your dental floss runs out and you buy 1000 yards.
5. When you use your toothbrush to brush your teeth and not comb your hair.
4. You have a chance to buy additional life insurance but you buy a convertible instead.
3. Your doctor tells you to lose weight and do something about your cholesterol and you actually listen.
2. When your biggest annual celebration is again your birthday, not the day you were diagnosed.
1. When you use your Visa card more than your insurance card.



4 comments:

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

You are too much.

Well, the people who say "all you need to beat cancer is the right attitude," are probably right because look at you! Your attitude is wonderful. I wish I could be more like you. Gonna work on it.

Onlythemanager said...

I like #8...I think it is probably pretty great when your family considers you to be able to carry your share of the load once again.

zenmama said...

Yes Susan, great but stinky. Greener Pastures, my attitude is not unique, we all have it in us...especially you.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Here's a big smile and a big hug!